Monday, March 19, 2007

MacT is the 2nd best coach in the NHL

Inspired by this article from the 4th period: http://www.thefourthperiod.com/columnists/wyshynski070316.html

Here is my generic and useless list of the 'three things' NHL coaches have in common:

1. Obvious observation about how they work hard.

2. Obvious observation about how their interaction with the public is important.

3. Something stupid about how all coaches get fired.

Here is where I backtrack and say that retiring, stepping down and getting fired are the same thing. I don't bother to prove this, I just put it out there.

Here is where I assert that coaches have an impact on the game. I'm a really big deal you know.

Here i use the word "obstreperous" so that people will take me seriously.

Here I arbitrarily rank 30 NHL head coaches. I don't really have a formula; although I did ask some 'assorted hockey folk' I know to share their uninformed opinions. Here I make sure to attach the obligatory "one man's opinion line", just to make sure no one in their right mind takes me seriously.

30. Coach on a very bad team.
29. Michel Therrien. <--- I smoke rocks.
28. Coach on a very bad team.
27. Coach on a very bad team.
26. Coach on a very bad team.
25. Coach on a bad team.
24. Coach on a bad team.
23. Coach on a bad team.
22. Coach on a bad team.
21. Jim Playfair.
20. Brian Murray. <--- I smoke rocks.
19. Ron Wilson.
18. Coach on a mediocre team.
17. Coach on a mediocre team.
16. Coach on a mediocre team.
15. Coach on a good team.
14. Coach on a good team.
13. Coach on a good team.
12. Coach on a good team.
11. Coach on a good team.
10. Coach on a good team.
9. Coach on a very good team.
8. Coach on a very good team.
7. Coach on a very good team.
6. Paul Maurice. <--- I smoke rocks.
5. Coach on a great team.
4. Coach on a great team.
3. Coach on a great team.
2. MacT.
1. Jesus.

2 comments:

Marsha said...

You put Jesus over MacT? I'm beginning to think this list of ranked coaches is meaningless.

MacS said...

Craig MacTavish, Edmonton Oilers. Unable to motivate frustrated young players, unable to patch gaping holes that management couldn't fill, and unable to ride the momentum from 2006. How quickly things change: Last post-season, MacTavish was being hailed as a "revelation" who resurrected a floundering coaching career. Funny... all I saw was a guy riding a hot goalie for three rounds.

I'm glad whomever wrote this actually watches Oilers games and realizes how little passion the team is playing with! MacT just rode a hot goalie for his wins.

Alain Vigneault though, he found a way to win without a hot goalie, hence his high rating.