Friday, January 18, 2008
LiveBlogging: Oil @ Canes.
Looks like I'll be following the game via the the Carolina feed, this should be ugly.
For any of you out there without access to a video feed, feel free to join me on sopcast channel 39461
- Oilers give up a quality SC just seconds into the first period. Luckily Whitney shoots it wide.
- A second ridiculous Canes chance as Grebs gets stripped at the Carolina blue line. He recovers but nobody picks up the trailer coming down the middle.
- Predictably 12-89-34 are back together. It has been a few games since 18-13-34 have done anything, so a change seemed like a logical choice. Plus as Dennis mentioned over at LT's, 12's been playing pretty well of late.
- Hemmer makes a real pretty play and sets Horc up in the slot. Ward comes up with a good point blank save.
- So far Carolina is moving the puck really well, we need to do a better job in our own zone.
- 1-0 Canes. Just after I typed the last line, Brind'Amour beats Garon with a hard one-timer. Unless we can get control of zone possession, we are going to get blown out here. The Canes have 7 shots in the first 7 minutes.
- Oilers PP. Commodore, who is one of the best Canes PKers, gets sent to the box. Let's see if our PP can carry some of the momentum from last night.
- Hemsky takes an unsportsmanlike penalty behind the play. Wow, that's a CHINCY call. It looked to me that he complained after taking a slash in the slot. I saw it and it looked like a penalty to me. Instead of a long 5-3, well be skating 4on4 for a minute and a half then killing a 30s penalty.
- Horcoff with a real nice defensive play behind his net. He comes in and stripes Larose before he can take it to the front of the net.
- Souray gets away with a hold that negated a clear break away. It looks like we got our even up call.
- It seems like we are gonna play pond hockey again tonight. I'm not so sure that's a good idea against a team like the Canes; they have scored a lot of goals this year.
- Great little play by 12 sending 16 and 51 on a 2 on 1. 16 elects to shoot and misses wide. Hopefully that wasn't his signature 'one good play a game'.
- The top line draws a penalty. A nice little cycle by 27-10-83 generates some sustained pressure.
- Commodore wins a battle in the corner against 3 of our guys. Nice play by the Caronlina defenseman. I've actually always thought pretty highly of the guy since I followed the Flames run the year before the lock out. I think he's one of the more underrated guys around the league.
END OF THE FIRST PERIOD.
Carolina comes out with a lot of fire and so far looks like the team that wants it more. Deja vu. During the intermission, Brind'Amour comments that before the game the team was talking about how the Oilers tend to collapse too hard and give up the high slot. Fuck.
- Souray looks to me like he's trying to do too much again. This is the sort of play that got him in a lot of trouble during his first 8 games with the team.
- 1-1. Gagner gets the monkey off of his back as Ward lets in a fairly soft goal. Some nice puck movement as the kids find some open ice.
- Scratch the above, they gave the goal to 28. Good on him, I've always been a fan.
- Carolina colour guys embarrasses himself as he laments on how Guerin was involved in the Samsonov trade to the Oilers.
- 51 with a clear break away. Too bad he makes nothing of it and shoots wide.
- Hedican takes a careless high sticking penalty. Oilers PP. Big chance here to take this game over.
- The Carolina PK looks real sharp. We just can't seem to get setup in the zone. Shades of last years PP.
- We fail to generate anything on the PP. Honestly, that was pretty deflating, the team was really starting to come alive.
- 44 has all the time in the world to clear it out of his zone and instead puts it off of Walker. That was just a terrbile play.
- 51 with a real nice hit on Commodore, shortly after, Nilsson with a great backcheck as he knocks down the 'Oiler killer' pass to the trailer.
- 2-1 Canes. My feed cuts out and the Canes score just as I reconnect. Lame.
- Oilers get a solid chance as Stoll bangs one off of the post. 27-10-83 hit the ice for an offensive zone faceoff.
- Back to back offensive zone faceoff draw losses for Horc. Plays like these are huge, instead of our top line getting any sort of offensive pressure, they spend their shift running around in the neutral zone.
- 16 takes a bad slashing penalty. If we can kill this off in the third, it might be the momentum turner that we need right now
END OF THE SECOND PERIOD.
Our powerplay killed our momentum that period. I missed Caronlinas second goal, but I'm sure someone messed up.
- Oilers come up with a big kill to start the period. I'm really interested to see how much energy the team shows here.
- Smid does a nice job carrying the puck up the ice. It's nice to see when Smid brings this element of his game, helps to ease the pain of his defensive deficiencies.
- 3-1 Canes. A horrendous turnover by Souray at his own blue line leads to a Staal jam in goal. That's the nail in the coffin right there.
- The collapse continues as Thoreson takes a holding penalty in the neutral zone. This team can be so painful to watch.
- The Canes get a bunch of quality chances on the PP but Garon comes up big with a bunch of saves.
- 89 takes an interference penalty in his own zone. I think the Canes are going to score on this PP, furthering the embarrassment.
- Staal with a great swan dive to draw the penalty shot.
- 4-1 Canes. Staal scores easily, the prediction comes true!
- 5-1 Canes. Turnover, saucer pass, goal. GOILERS!
- 6-1 Canes. Kids everywhere in that replay!
- 6-2 Canes. Kids everywhere in that replay!
- 7-2 Canes. That little fucker Staal celebrates his garbage 7-2 goal like he just clinched the cup.
END OF THE THIRD PERIOD.